Moving Out Checklist
Moving out of your house is not an easy decision. Once you make the decision there is a list of tasks that will need to get done and you might even be prone to a nervous breakdown. But, worry not because planning is imperative. A big part about planning requires you to list down all the important tasks that need to be done. Then doing them by hook or by crook before you step out of the house for good. Once you have a list of tasks that need to be done start prioritizing them. Then ticking them off the list as you complete them one by one and use our moving out checklist to make the process easier.
Making a Checklist
There’s a big chance that people who are moving out face double the stress because with the stress of buying a new house, clearing out the old house is another stressful task. But, you need to get the old place ready and looking as good as new for its new owners.
One very significant tasks that everyone puts off till the end is the cleaning of the house you are moving out from. It is very important that you leave a clean and tidy house behind for any new owners that might move in. The least it does is leave a good impression of the previous owner on the new owners. Who wouldn’t want that? A good tip would be to clean as you go over the other tasks. Then as you move down the list so that you do not pile up all the cleaning towards the very end. Here is an ultimate checklist that anyone considering to move out should try to follow since it covers pretty much everything:
The very first thing you need to get done is to sort your personal belongings,. Check what you need and what you want to sell off or discard. Now is the time to sort those items that will require special packing and those that require no packing at all. This will help save ample time in the last few days just before moving out.
It would be a great idea to start looking for a good “packers and movers” company now. Review your budget and find one that suits you needs. This can include packing, availability and sorting items. Research the transportation cost required and start meeting with these companies in order to build a personal connection with them so that you may be able to negotiate better if need be.
Once you’ve sorted your items you will need to start organizing them into categories that will help ease your packing and eventually moving. You can categorize the belongings into whatever category you wish. For instance you could make a category of appliances, household décor, rugs, clothes etc.
Pre-order big brown boxes that you will need to keep your personal belongings. Items such as books, frames, shoes, CDs etc can be stored in these. Also ensure that you get a lot of tape in order to close these boxes properly.
Once you’ve got all the items sorted, organized and the items required to pack them up, start packing! This could be one of the most dreaded tasks as packing required a lot of effort. Try to get a helping hand or two if you can. You will definitely not be able to pack the entire house on your own despite the hiring of the packing and moving service.
Using our moving out checklist should make the cleaning part easier. Once the house is clear of all your belongings and furniture has been thoroughly packed, cleaning is up next. You now need to begin the most significant task of all – cleaning! It would be ideal to hire a professional house cleaning service to complete your move out cleaning. This job can be time consuming for you so you may not have much free time on your hands. All you need to do is make sure they check of every item on your list. There is a separate sub-list of tasks that need to be taken care of as far as cleaning the house is concerned:
- Taking all the nails out of the walls and puttying the wall smoothly so that the walls are dealt with separately. Ensure that the corners of the walls are clear of all spider webs.
- Dust the ceiling of any possible spider webs and dusty material left behind for years. Try to wash the walls and ceilings with a wet cloth. This helps to cleaning any stains left behind.
- Clean the windows and the mirrors inside out with a proper glass cleaner so that they look as good as new.
- Get all old light bulbs and switches replaced for the new home owners. Clean the light outlets as well. We all have a bad habit of avoiding cleaning this while conducting regular cleaning of the house.
- Vacuum the house thoroughly to get rid of all sorts dust and dirt out of the furniture and corners of the house.
- Ensure that you mop the floors of the entire house properly with bleach if needed to give it a fresh new look.
- Bathrooms are the most important area in the house that require proper sanitization. Make sure that the bathtub, toilets, sink and countertops and cleaned properly.
- Every appliance inside the house needs to be cleaned properly.
- Do not forget to cut the grass, clear the garage and pull the weeds!
The last thing before you take your final step out of the house is the sweep or mop the floor to the furthest point outside the door. Bid your old house a happy goodbye! We hope our moving out checklist helps simplify the moving process.